Mr Philip Vorster from Mboyti along the Wild Coast kindly donated a bronze plaque which reflects the history of the first steam engine to be used during a salvage attempt of the Grosvenor in 1887.
The steam engine was manufactured by Robey and Company in Lincoln (UK). Mr Bryan Edwards of the Robey Trust kindly provided the following information related to the number 9987 on the plaque:
“9987 is an entry in Engine Book 2, and as such the details are more brief than they were in EB3 onwards. All we have is that:
9987 was a 12hp, compound (would almost certainly have been a 2-cylinder) ….
Machinery Order number 4260.
The steam engine was landed in Durban and transported overland by wagon to the Grosvenor wreck site.
The museum has a permanent display about the Grosvenor in the maritime gallery.